Spinal cord injuries include damage to any part of the spinal cord. Damage to the nerves at the end of the spinal cord, called the cauda equina, can also occur.
The spinal cord sends and receives signals between the brain and other parts of the body. Spinal cord injuries often result in permanent changes in muscle strength, sensation, and other bodily functions below the injury site. People with spinal cord injuries may also experience psychological, emotional, and social side effects. alcohol rehab san diego
Many scientists are optimistic that advances in research will one day make it possible to repair spinal cord injuries. Research studies are ongoing around the world. Treatment and rehabilitation now enable many people with spinal cord injuries to live productive, independent lives.
Spinal cord injuries can result from damage to the spinal cord itself or to the bones called vertebrae that surround the spinal cord.
- An injury may also result from damage to the spinal ligaments or discs.
- A sudden traumatic blow to the spine can fracture, dislocate, crush, or compress one or more vertebrae.
- Spinal cord injuries can also occur if a bullet or knife wound penetrates and cuts the spinal cord.
- Additional damage typically occurs over several days or weeks.
- This is caused by bleeding, swelling, and fluid buildup in and around the spinal cord after an injury.
- Other causes of spinal cord injury do not include trauma.
- Possible causes include arthritis, cancer, inflammation, infection, or disc degeneration in the spine.
Common Causes of Spinal Cord Injury
The most common causes of spinal cord injury in the world are:
Car and motorcycle accidents are the most common cause of spinal cord injuries. It accounts for almost half of all new spinal cord injuries each year and half of spine surgeries cost in India.
The most common cause of spinal cord injury after age 65 is a fall, whereas in th earlier age groups it is unfortunate injuries because of inadvertent falls.
Last year there were 4,444 acts of violence in a month. Approximately 12% of spinal cord injuries result from violent altercations, most of which are gunshots or knife wounds.
Athletic activities such as impact sports and deep water diving cause about 10% of spinal cord injuries. Athletes also incur such injuries because of wrong posture or being in a hurry
Diseases like Cancer, arthritis, osteoporosis, and inflammation of the spinal cord can also cause spinal cord injuries.
When should one get checked
Anyone who has an injury to the head or neck needs an immediate medical evaluation.
It is safest to assume that the person has a spinal injury until proved otherwise.
This is important because:
- A serious spinal injury is not always immediately obvious.
- If a spinal injury occurs but it is not known, worse injury may occur.
- Numbness or paralysis can happen quickly or come on gradually.
- The time between injury and receiving treatment is very important.
- Recognizing the extent of the injury can help determine your chances of recovery.
Spinal Cord Injuries (SCIs) result from trauma or damage to the spinal cord, impairing sensory and motor functions. Causes include accidents, falls, sports injuries, and violence. Ortil Healthcare recognizes the profound impact of SCIs and the cost of Cervical spine surgeries in India on individuals and emphasizes the importance of preventive measures, research, and innovative treatments to enhance the quality of life for those affected.